Friday, March 15, 2013

Senator Portman and the Golden Rule

I woke up to the news this morning that Ohio Republican Senator Rob Portman has reversed his views on same-sex marriage after his son, Will, came out to him as gay. Obviously, voicing such a controversial change does not come without it's critics. Some claim his morals are too malleable. Some say that he should support his constituents, even if these views affect the rights of minorities. Some welcome the change, but criticize him for only making the change since it affected his own son.

Personally, I can't help but smile over this, not because we now have yet another Republican on our side, but because of the story behind it. Imagine the pressure of being the gay son of a top ranking conservative senator. Now picture the pressure of being the only senator to break party lines on a controversial issue that will be hitting the Supreme Court in a few weeks. That's enough stress to make anybody go nuts!

But Will Portman overcame the fear and decided to be honest with his dad, who then handled the news like a champ. Despite the risk of losing his political career and being openly criticized by social conservative groups, other fellow politicians, and random online commentators, Sen. Portman provides his reasoning for supporting same-sex marriage in a way I could not have worded better myself:
"The overriding message of love and compassion that I take from the Bible, and certainly the Golden Rule, and the fact that I believe we are all created by our maker, that has all influenced me in terms of my change on this issue."
That's it. The Golden Rule. The number one thing (at least in my opinion) that Christians and other people of faith are losing sight of today. The rule that states: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." You can't get any more Christian than that!

It's unfortunate that some people will miss the lesson that can be learned from all of this due to not being able to see through the politics. What an awesome example of a good parent and what a wonderful family that must be. Thank you, Will and Rob Portman!

6 comments:

  1. I agree, Evan. Great post - you first post as a married man. Congrats again to you and Brian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dean! I have an entry that I'm working on, but didn't want to go too long without posting anything.. Plus, this is just a wonderful story I felt like I needed to share :).

      Delete
  2. First post as married man? Congratulations! :D

    Also, did you just change your blog layout? This one is quite nice. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Trev! Hopefully I have a new entry describing the wedding in the not too distant future.

      I made some very minor changes to the layout, but nothing really noticeable. Perhaps you were just thinking of the mohointx blog?

      Delete
    2. Ha ha, yeah, that could be it.

      Looking forward to the wedding post!

      Delete
  3. Well said, Evan. This is great news for gay people, families and equality-minded people everywhere.

    ReplyDelete